Glue traps and poison

Please do not buy glue traps for rodent control (an option on the market intended to trap mice and rats.) When an animal steps on the trap it becomes stuck to the surface.  As the animal attempts to free itself, it becomes completely enmeshed in the adhesive, eventually dying of suffocation, starvation or dehydration.  

Glue traps are indiscriminate; pet and wild birds alike are frequently killed by sticky traps, as are non-target animals like snakes, squirrels, baby opossums, kittens, and non-targeted insects (honeybees and other beneficial insects). Attempting to remove the animal from the extremely sticky material causes additional suffering.

Glue traps are cruel: trapped animals chew off limbs, starve, dehydrate, and suffocate while trying to escape from the glue.  Another reason to not use glue traps: the animals caught in glue traps continue to defecate and urinate on the sticky surface putting humans at an increased risk of contracting HPS ( Hantavirus).

Poison (Rodenticide)

Poison is another inhumane method of controlling rodents.  They die from internal hemorrhage, dehydration and organ paralysis; all are painful.  Other animals (pets, too) can eat the poison or eat the rodent and be likewise poisoned.  Owls found dead have been determined to have eaten poisoned rodents.

The best rodent control is prevention: remove places they like to make their home like yard debris and trash.  Pick up fallen fruit from trees, sweep up bird seed, bring in bird feeders at night.  Keep bulk food in metal containers if outside.  Seal openings in the outside of your house.  Put a nesting box for owls in your tree; owls are natural predators of mice and rats.  If you must trap in your house use a trap-and-release trap, but you must prevent their return by sealing holes and removing things that attract them.